Celebrating 20 Years of Improving Adult Immunization: Accomplishments, Challenges, Opportunities
The twentieth annual Massachusetts Adult Immunization Conference was held on April 14, 2015 in Marlborough MA. The conference provides participants with the most current adult immunization information and encourages the expansion of immunization activities in facilities, businesses and communities.
Clockwise from top: Bob Morrison (MDPH), Antonia Blinn (Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers), Susan Lett, MD (MDPH), and Alfred DeMaria, Jr., MD (MDPH) join this year’s keynote speaker, Laura Riley, MD, (Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital) along with Robyn Alie (Massachusetts Medical Society); The afternoon plenary panelists are introduced by Robyn Alie; The 2015 Massachusetts Adult Immunization Champion awardees: Linda Barnet (Healthcare for the Homeless), Sarah Wolfrum, Kiefer St. Pierre and Catherine Basham (Fenway Health HPV Vaccination Improvement Team) display their awards with Robyn Alie and Antonia Blinn.
We are immensely grateful to the many supporters and sponsor of this conference, as well as all of our exhibitors. We also honor the 2015 Massachusetts Adult Immunization Champions : Linda Barnet, BSN, RN (Health Care for the Homeless); and Catherine Basham, BS, BA; Jennifer Potter, MD; Keifer St. Pierre, RN & Sarah Wolfrum, MPH (Fenway Health Vaccination Improvement Team).
Vaccine Preventable Diseases Shouldn’t Happen in Pregnancy: Immunizations for Mother and Baby
Speaker: Laura Riley, MD
Massachusetts Adult Immunization Update – REVISED
Speaker: Susan Lett, MD
- Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule, United States – 2015 – CDC
- Immunizing Adult Patients: New Standards for Practice – CDC
- Pneumococcal Vaccines (PCV13 and PPSV23): Addressing Common Questions about Pneumococcal Vaccination for Adults – CDC
- Tips and Time-savers for Talking with Parents about HPV Vaccine – CDC
- Provide the best prenatal care to prevent pertussis – Provider Fact Sheet – CDC
- URGENT CALL TO PREVENT CANCER – Take the HPV Vaccine Challenge – MA DPH
Invasive Meningococcal Disease: Testing, reporting, and investigations in Massachusetts – REVISED
Speakers: Hillary Johnson, MHS and Meagan Burns, MPH
A Sure Shot: Using the MA Immunization Information System (MIIS) Across the Lifespan
Speaker: Shari Davis, RN, MPH
- MIIS Regulations – MA DPH
- MIIS Compliance Schedule – MA DPH
- Preparing to Use the MIIS at your Practice – MIIS Resource Center
Adult Vaccination 101
Speaker: Mary Conant-Cantor, RN, BSN
Promoting HPV Vaccination Among Adult Patients
Speakers: Jennifer Potter, MD; Sarah Wolfrum, MPH; Catherine Basham, BS, BA; Kiefer St. Pierre, RN
A Plan-Do-Study-Act to Achieving Immunization Equity
Speakers: Rodrigo Monterrey, BA; Kitty Mahoney, RN; Lillian Komukyeya, MPH
Afternoon Plenary Session
When There Is No Vaccine: Lessons from the Ebola Response
A panel discussion of risk perception, the rights and responsibilities of health care professionals, and opportunities for improved preparedness for emerging infectious disease threats.
Panelists: David Ropeik, MS; Erica Shenoy, MD, PHD; Christine Mitchell, RN, MS; Philip D. Parks, MD, MPH, MOccH.
- One Hospital’s Perspective – Erica Shenoy, MD, PHD
*Presentations from the other plenary speakers are unavailable
- Commonwealth Medicine
- MA Executive Office of Elder Affairs
- MA Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- MDPH Immunization Program – Vaccine Unit
- MDPH Immunization Program – MA Immunization Information System (MIIS)
- Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Massachusetts Senior Medicare Patrol Program
- Walgreens Pharmacy
- Team Maureen
- Sanofi Pasteur
- Sylvie Ratelle STD/HIV Training Center of New England
- American Lung Association of the Northeast
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Thank you to our dedicated Planning Committee: Antonia Blinn, MA League of Community Health Centers; Robyn Alie, MA Medical Society; Valerie Laurence, St. Mary Healthcare; Mary Ann Preskul-Ricca, Consultant; Susan Lett, MDPH; Al DeMaria, MDPH; Beth English, MDPH; Heather Lisinski, JSI; Allison Hackbarth, JSI; Joanne Martel, Andover Health Department.